Sunday, October 02, 2005

Great Escape from the Marquee Malaise

I've never made any secret of my intense dislike for Marquee Cinema on Corridor G. I don't like the layout, the crowds, the thin walls, the sound system, or much of anything else about it.

So I was thrilled when I learned that we were getting a new multiplex in Nitro, just a ten-minute drive from my house. Mel and I have seen two movies out there, and I have to say, I'm delighted. The sound system is great, the movies are in focus, and get this, if you have to stand in line to buy a ticket, YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO IT INSIDE!

One of the things I hate most about Marquee is that you pretty much have to stand outside while waiting to buy tickets, rain or shine, heatwave or torrential downpour.

One thing I've noticed about Great Escape is that the crowds haven't been too big. Now, as a person who doesn't buy into that whole "movies are better if you see them with lots of people" claptrap, this doesn't bother me, but as someone who likes to have a shorter drive to go to a theater that isn't Marquee, I'd like to see more folks flocking to the theater. It's like I have a choice between lamenting the size of the crowds, or watching the place go out of business. I'd like to see them stick around, so I'll deal with larger crowds.

So what I'm saying is, get yourself out to the Great Escape in Nitro. You can wait in line inside, the service is better at the snackbar, and there are no stairs to deal with. Also, you don't hear the movie that's playing next door. It's a first-rate operation.

I like Park Place, but I don't care for the parking building, and this is even closer to me, so it's Great Escape for me from now on. And they're listed in the Gazz theater box listing thingy "Movie Finder,' which is cooler than chocolate-covered robots!

No comments: