Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sketchy Bio

Since we're going live with the Gazz, here's a quick rundown of who I am, and what I'm doing here:

First, off, I'm Rudy Panucci.

Twenty years ago, along with my brother, Frank, I edited an independent comic book called "Coda." It was the first nationally distributed comic book published here in West Virginia. I also wrote and drew the backup feature, "Spud."

Fifteen years ago, I hosted "Radio Free Charleston, the greatest (local) radio show in the history of this city (that's not really saying much). I played local artists, conceptual comedy bits, and any music that I felt like playing--I'm still proud of the time I segued from the Sex Pistols into Benny Goodman.

About thirteen years ago, I began co-writing "Animated Discussion" with Melanie Larch, which is still being published by the Charleston Gazette, whenever there's animation to write about.

Ten years ago, I began writing about action figures for Toy Trader Magazine. When Toy Trader was bought up and shut-down by Toy Shop (we were eating away at their sales, so they assimilated us), I moved over to Mastercollector.com, which is also the parent company of the GI Joe Collector's Club. My work can still be found there, covering topics like action figures, die-cast cars, and cheesy knockoffs. Action figures, especially GI Joe, are one of my main obsessions.

Nine years ago, I began writing for Non-Sport Update, the magazine devoted to non-sport trading cards--you know, the cool ones, like "Mars Attacks" and "Wacky Packages". I'm still writing for them and can even be seen in their upcoming 15th anniversary issue trying to hide my baldness under a hat.

For the last eight years, I have been caring for my mother at home. She suffered a massive stroke, and rather than park her in a nursing home, I brought her home where she can be healthier and happier than she could have possibly been elsewhere. It's been a bit of a challenge, and a crash course in medical procedures, but I don't regret it. It has curtailed my social life, but I was getting lazy about going out before that anyway.

Earlier this year, I had a health scare. I've come out of it in better shape than I went in, but it has made me more aware of how important it is to pay attention to what you eat.

So, that's about it. I may tee off on comic books, toys, movies, animation, health care, food, television, or anything else that strikes my fancy. I'll also share some of the artwork, photography, and music that I've been working on these last few years. Maybe along the way I can reconnect with some of my old Radio Free Charleston co-conspirators.

Hope you enjoy the ride.

No comments: