Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Evil is as Evil does


Since I never did get my hands on the Dr. Evil Gift Set, I had to swipe the photo for my other post from an excellent book by Michael Eury, "Captain Action, The Original Super-Hero Action Figure".

This is an exhaustive history of the brief life of Captain Action and his even briefer revival in the late 90s. I know Mike from the Captain Action email group at Yahoo, and would love to plug his book and send folks to buy it, but a quick check of his publisher's website shows that it is sold out. You can still track down a copy from Amazon, or perhaps a local bookstore might still have some in their warehouse.

However, since I owe Michael a plug, I'll take this opportunity to recommend Back Issue Magazine--edited by Michael, which is devoted the comic books of the '70s and '80s. I also want to tell you about a couple of other great books that Michael has written , "Dick Giordano: Changing Comics One Day At A Time", about the legendary artist and editor, and his most recent, "Justice League Companion", about the famed super-hero team. Great reads, one and all.

You can find all those and much more comic book history at TwoMorrows Publishing, the folks who are preserving the history of America's native art form.

No comments: